Fried Egli Filet on Black Salsify Puree and Oyster Mushrooms (ft. farmy.ch)
Sometimes, I just crave the crunch.
This means I need some fried food! I have tried to reduce my meat consumption, so even though I love fried chicken I opt for fried fish now and again. But fish and chips can be unoriginal and heavy, so why not try to add something fresh and local?
I have therefore worked out this fried fish recipe using seasonal schwarzwurzel/black salsify and swiss native egli fish filet. Even though it's a fried fish, this dish is very light and the crunchiness is worth the small effort! I would recommend to first get water boiling, turn on the oven and the heat up the fryer or oil (using an airfryer or oven for the fish will reduce the crunchiness). Then first take care of the salsify, then fry the fish and in the last step cook the mushrooms. Pre-heating the plate will also help your food to be still hot when serving. If you live in Switzerland you can order all the ingredients from www.farmy.ch , with whom I have worked with this time to create this recipe. They deliver the food from over 1200 local producers with a variety of over 14500 products, specializing in fair and organic production, right to your door step.
Time: 4/5 (about an hour)
Ingredients (for 2):
- 3 stems of schwarzwurzel/salsify
- 1 large potato - juice of 1 lemon
- 40g butter
- ~50ml Milk (as much as you need for the right consistency)
For the fried fish:
- 1.5L neutral frying oil
- 150 g egli filet
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp italian herbs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 50 ml Milk
For the mushroom: - 2 large oyster mushrooms
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp Honey - S & P
1. Use some gloves and wash the dirt off the salsify. Peel and cut the pieces and put them into lemon water to refrain it from turning brown. Also peel and cut the potato
2. Put them in boiling salted water for about 20 minutes, or until soft.
3. Meanwhile, wash the fish and pat it dry (important). Heat up the oil until it reaches 160-170C.
4. Mix the flour and the herbs. Take 2 spoons out and mix it with milk (any you like, I used oat milk) until it reaches a thick runny consistency.
5. Dip the fish in the flour mix, the batter and again into the flour mix before putting it into the oil.
6. Drain the water from the salsify, add butter and milk and purree it. Add more milk if you want it more runny. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Drain the fish after about 5 min or until golden brown and keep warm in the oven at about 180C while you fry the other fish
8. Heat up some butter in a pan and put the mushroom slices into the butter. When they have browned add some lemon juice and finally a splash of honey and chopped parsley.
9. Arrange to make it pretty and top of with some lemon juice😘